Wizkids just released the new Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. expansion and it is great fun! It covers the deep and wide history of S.H.I.E.L.D. and also includes a lot of Hydra, the major characters from the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television show, and the Invaders. After opening a brick and playing some sealed with it, here are some pieces that stood out in our games.
My major brick pulls were:
– SR Captain America
– SR Iron Man
– SR Spider-Woman
– Hulkbuster Base
– Thanos Throne vehicle chase
– Venom, War Machine, and Quake ID Cards
This set has a lot of generics, like Hydra Field Agent or S.H.I.E.L.D. Elite Agent in the common slots. This means that if you buy a bunch of boosters, your duplicates will be useful. In a brick of ten boosters (50 figures), I only pulled three duplicates that were not generics. Additionally, many of the commons have two versions. One is a generic soldier (S.H.E.L.D. Field Supervisor) and the other is a named S.H.I.E.L.D. agent with a different dial (like Maria Hill). This will give you plenty of troops for your Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D. armies and prevent you from ending up with a bunch of extra pieces that you probably won’t play.
After playing with my booster pulls, here are four figures who really stood out:
1) 012 Agent Ward – Agent Ward is a character from ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. television show and he was a workhorse both times I played him. Agent Ward’s trait allows him to give adjacent pieces who can use the S.H.I.E.L.D. team ability the Hydra team ability as well. His top dial is a stealthy sniper piece and his later dial is more close combat oriented. At 55 points, you have plenty of room on your team to partner him with another S.H.I.E.L.D. or Hydra generic for maximum effectiveness. I set him up in a sniper nest on a rooftop next to a Hydra recruit, who increased Ward’s damage and lowered his target’s defense. It was a dangerous pair.
2) 014a Hydra Recruit – At a mere 20 points, this piece offers Sidestep, Enhancement, Willpower, and the Hydra team ability. If she’s KO’ed, you can remove an action token from two other friendly Hydra pieces. She’s an excellent, cheap way to boost your attacker’s effectiveness. Hail Hydra indeed.
3) 037 U.S.Agent – U.S.Agent is a tough customer. He brings some strong close combat options to S.H.I.E.L.D. teams, which tend to rely on range. He is also pretty tough to put down. His top click is a 17 defense with Combat Reflexes and Invulnerability. But he’s no sitting duck at range either. At the end of your turn, you can pick one side of the square he occupies and lines of fire that pass through that side are blocked until your next turn. Charge in with Super Strength to bring some pain, then block the side that faces your would-be counter attackers and prevent your target’s friends from shooting back.
4) 049 Captain America – This was one of the more anticipated pieces in the set. This Captain America is actually Sam Wilson, the Falcon. He has a potent defense power that lets him use Energy Shield/Deflection, Invulnerability, Super Senses, and Willpower. This makes him a nightmare to put down, especially at range. At the beginning of the game he can create four bird bystander tokens. Three of them are pigeons, which are designed to tie up enemy figures. The fourth is Falcon’s trusty bird, Redwing, who sports Charge, Precision Strike, and Super Senses. The birds are great for directing enemy attention away from Cap. For example, my opponent used Redwing to fly to an adjacent building and prevent Ward, who was hiding in his sniper nest, from shooting at Cap. That gave Cap some breathing room to tangle with U.S.Agent. It was a great play!
Overall, I think this is a great set. Given the close relationship between S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers, I thought this was going to be just another Avengers-heavy set but it is not. It is a very unique set, packed full of spy-vs-spy action, with a very heavy dose of Hydra and S.H.I.E.L.D. The set offers a lot of new pieces and fills out the Marvel Universe in some areas that have been lacking. If you’re thinking about picking up some boosters, I definitely recommend you do.